For a small law firm or solo practitioner, selecting or updating a phone system is usually not at the top of the priority list. With all the challenges that accompany setting up a new firm or relocating to a new office, the phone service decision is often relegated to an office manager or admin who is instructed to “get the phones turned on,” without much consideration beyond the monthly cost.
However, there are options on the market today that can transform your telephone into a practice tool and your call handling into something that even the largest firms would envy. VoIP technology, carrying your phone calls over your Internet connection, potentially offers you the best of both worlds – more features and a lower price.
Providers of traditional copper line telephone service are discontinuing support and phasing out this technology, while at the same time raising prices on the service to drive customers to VoIP. Consequently, there will often be a significant savings with VoIP technology, along with a vast array of new features and capabilities that come at no extra charge.
In addition to savings and features, there are a number of other reasons that law firms are turning to VoIP technology, and cloud-hosted VoIP in particular, where no on-site PBX equipment is required.
Here are five great reasons that you should consider VoIP telephone service for your law firm or law office:
- Easy set up - A hosted VoIP phone system can be customized by the user through the dashboard of an online application, allowing each person in the office to have a unique phone configuration that meets their needs. Voicemail options, call forwarding and even multiple simultaneous ring locations can easily be set up by the user.
- Better voice quality - Improvements in hardware and increases in available bandwidth have eliminated the audio issues that plagued early VoIP systems and have made the voice and overall sound quality the highest that it has ever been. Seek out a VoIP phone solution that is engineered end-to-end with hardware and software that make the most efficient use of your internet connection and prioritize voice quality and delivery.
- Scalability - A hosted VoIP system provides the most scalable option compared to a traditional PBX alone. Moreover, the monthly per seat per user pricing structure common to hosted VoIP offers the most flexibility for companies – allowing them to add and delete users, adjust user type options and move up and down available plans, providing the best ongoing match between need and cost over time. For a firm that is looking to grow, scalability makes a VoIP system a very good choice.
- Mobility - Today’s legal staffs are more mobile than ever. Look for options such as the ability to make and receive calls on your cell phone through the main office number, transfer calls to other extensions and voicemail boxes, forward voicemails as .wav file attachments, access the company directory, view call logs, manage voicemail and update preferences, all while away from the office. Whether you’re in the law library or with a client across the country, your VoIP phone solution should offer seamless mobile capabilities.
- First impressions - They say you’ve only got one chance to make a first impression and your phone system may be doing that before you ever have the opportunity. It’s the first thing a client encounters. Whether your firm consists of two attorneys or two dozen, it’s critical that your call handling creates a polished, professional first impression. The best VoIP phone systems have features such as virtual attendant, customizable routing menus, and multi-ring options that help you get every client encounter started out right.
The experts at TEC can consult with you on your specific needs and put together a telecommunications solution that offers the service and features your firm needs to operate at maximum efficiency. Give us a call at 800-832-2515.