Jackson, Mississippi (May 13, 2021) TEC is collaborating with the Federal Communications Commissions (FCC) with the new Emergency Broadband Benefit program, to help lower the cost of broadband service for eligible households during the on-going COVID-19 pandemic for a limited time.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit Fund, or EBB, set aside $3.2 billion to assist in covering the cost of internet service for eligible households. This program provides a discount of up to a $50 per month toward broadband service. The benefit also provides up to a $100 per household discount toward a one-time purchase of a computer, laptop, or tablet if the household contributes more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase through a participating broadband provider.
“This past year has presented many challenges for all of us, and we want to help in as many ways as we can,” TEC Executive Vice President Joey F. Garner said. “We encourage customers that are eligible for the Emergency Broadband Fund to please reach out to us and enroll to take advantage of this opportunity while it lasts.”
A household is eligible if one member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
• Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid or the FCC’s Lifeline program;
• Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;
• Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
• Experienced a substantial loss of income through job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or
• Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
Emergency Broadband Benefit enrollment will begin on May 12, 2021. Eligible households can enroll by visiting TEC.com. Additional information about the Emergency Broadband Benefit is available at www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit