Perform the following test procedure:
- Make sure all phones are properly hung up.
- Check your equipment (e.g., cordless phone, answering machine, or fax) by disconnecting it from the phone jack and power source and then reconnecting it. Sometimes resetting your equipment will restore service.
- Do a visual inspection of all exposed wiring and connections for damage or loose connections.
- If you have more than one outlet, check the equipment (phone, fax, modem, etc.) at each outlet to determine whether operation can be obtained from all outlets.
- To isolate jack or house wiring problems, move a working telephone to each jack in the house to find which location is causing the trouble.